The Recipe Files:
Southwestern Rice & Corn Frittata
submitted by TedF on May-24-08
(this recipe is good for breakfast/lunch)
Good HouseKeeping Recipe.
Prep about 25 min.
Bake about 20 min.
Makes 6 main-dish servings
1 package (8.8 ounces) precooked whole-grain brown rice ( 2 cups)
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup frozen corn kernels
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
Prepared Salsa (optional)
1. Heat brown rice as label directs.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F.
In oven-safe stainless steel 12-inch skille, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in jalapeno and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring. Add frozen corn and cook 1 minute or until corn is thawed, stirring occasionally. Transfer corn mixture to a bowl.
3. In a large bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs, milk, cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until well blended. Stir in rice, corn mixture, and cheese.
4. In skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture; cover and cook 3 minutes or until egg mixture starts to set around the edge.
5. Remove cover and place skillet in oven; bake 20 minutes or until knife inserted 2 inches from edge comes out clean. Remove frittata from oven; let stand 5 minutes.
6. To serve, loosen frittata from skillet; slide onto warm platter. Cut into wedges; serve with salsa if you like.
Each serving: About 245 calories, 13 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat ( 5 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 293 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium.
add a comment/rating