The Recipe Files:
Chicken in Wine Vinegar
submitted by sarahjane on Oct-27-04
(this recipe is good for dinner)
servings: (not specified)
From Patricia Wells' "Bistro Cooking". She recommends serving it with a gratin dauphinois and a light, fruity red.
3 tbsp olive oil
4 bone-in chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1. Heat oil in skillet on high.
2. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
3. When oil is hot but not smoking, add chicken and brown on one side until skin turns an even, golden brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Turn pieces and brown on another side, for an additional 5 minutes.
5. When all chicken has been browned, add vinegar very slowly.
6. Over medium-high heat, reduce vinegar by half, turning chicken from time to time to coat with vinegar, about 10 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and chicken stock. Cook and simmer gently over medium-low heat until juices mingle nicely and chicken is cooked through, about 20 more minutes (the chicken can and should be prepared ahead of time up to this point).
8. Remove chicken from sauce and place on a warm serving platter. Cover and keep warm.
9. Remove sauce from heat and adjust seasoning.
10. Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle on parsley, and serve.
add a comment/rating