The Recipe Files:
Braised Carrots with Parmesan
submitted by sarahjane on Oct-13-04
(this recipe is good for dinner)
(this recipe is suitable for vegetarians)
servings: (not specified)
From Marcella Hazan, of course. Time consuming, but low maintenance. You can leave them simmering while you prepare other dishes. Very good with roast chicken.
1 1/2 pounds carrots
4 T butter (1 stick)
1/4 t sugar
3 T freshly grated parmesan
2 T Chopped parsley
1. Peel carrots, and slice into 1/2 inch disks
2. Choose a saute pan that can contain the carrot rounds in a single snug layer without overlapping (if you don't have a big enough pan, use two)
3. Put in the carrots and butter, and enough water to com 1/4 inch up the sides
4. Turn heat to medium. Do not cover the pan.
5. Cook until the water has evaporated, then add salt and the 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
6.Continue cooking, adding 2-3 T water as needed. Your objective is to end up with well-browned, wrinkled carrot disks, concentrated in flavour and texture. It will take between 1 and 1 1/2 hours, during which time you must watch them, even while you do other things in the kitchen.
7. Stop adding water when they begin to reach the wrinkled, browned stage, because there must be no liquid left at the end. Carrot should have reduced in size by about half.
8. When done - they should be very tender - toss with parmesand and parsley and serve.
Note: The carrots can be finished entirely in advance, except for the cheese and parsley, which you will add only when reheating, just before serving.
add a comment/rating